“24 And, behold, there arose a great tempest in the sea, insomuch that the ship was covered with the waves: but he was asleep. 25 And his disciples came to him, and awoke him, saying, Lord, save us: we perish. 26 And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm.” Matt. 8:24-28)
“23 But as they sailed he fell asleep: and there came down a storm of wind on the lake; and they were filled with water, and were in jeopardy. 24 And they came to him, and awoke him, saying, Master, master, we perish. Then he arose, and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water: and they ceased, and there was a calm.
25 And he said unto them, Where is your faith? And they being afraid wondered, saying one to another, What manner of man is this! for he commandeth even the winds and water, and they obey him.” (Lk. 8:23-25)
Introduction: We have just witnessed a great storm, destructive of property and lives. As I heard of, saw, and listen to discussion on the matter, it appears to me to look at the matter.
1. There were storm in of the New Testament time, and
2. There are storms of different kinds today.
3. In that dangers are surrounding us, and we need to be prepared to react. However, some of the most dangerous, are spiritual rather than in the weather.
Wind (STORM) of doctrine (Eph. 4:14).
“That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;”
A. One can be, and many are tossed to and fro by
B. Carried about by
C. Nature of” Slight of men cunning craftiness “2940. kubeia, koo-bi'-ah; from kubos (a "cube", i.e. die for playing); gambling, i.e. (fig.) artifice or fraud:--sleight.”
D. Lie in wait to deceive
Understand that as people feel and find shelter of safety, we need to thus flee and find protection in the safe provision of God --In Christ.
A. He was there able to calm the sea
1. He was able
2. He did
B. The disciples were amazed that he was able, and so should we SEE
the advantage of being there too
1. He has invited all of us Matt. 11:28-30
2. His grace has appeared to each/all Tit. 2:11-12.
Paul and His captures were in a storm with much damage, because the people in charge didn’t listen to his advise --being an apostle. (Acts 27:10-44)
Some storms --with destructive forces involved, from which we need to FLEE!
1. Works of the flesh listed (1 Cor. 6:9-11; Gal. 5:19-21)
2. All are tempted, but must understand and thus flee! 1 Cor.
6:18;210:14; 1 Tim. 6:11; 2 Tim. 2:22
B. Family forces at times lead and push away from the Lord --in
1. Must not allow love for to keep from serving faithfully the Lord
First (Matt. 10:36-38)
2. Must not all desire for pleasure or material things to keep from
serving the lord faithfully!
C. Church problems can develop and push or pull us away from faithful service to the Lord.
D. Lose of loved ones. -- one can become bitter at the lord for allowing
such to happen.
1. Boys who lost father
2. WE may not understand everything, but BY FAITH we must
listen to, trust, and obey the Lord in all things!
Conclusion: Beloved, are you aware of some of the difficulties that may have forces to destroy you most valued possession --you soul?
1. Have you faith to flee to the place for safety --In Christ (Eph. 1:3)
2. You can by believing in Christ, repenting of your sins, confessing your faith, and being baptized, and then walking uprightly, being faithful to the Lord.
3. If you are not in that shelter of safety, now is the time to act! Become a member of the Lord’s body or be restored to that position!