Today’s Scripture: Luke 5-6
Things to remember in today’s reading:
- Jesus calls his first disciples (Peter, James and John), who were common fishermen, to become fishers of men. He astonished them with his “catch of fish” (5:1-11)
- Jesus cleanses a leprous man then charges him to tell no one but to go and show himself to a priest and make an offering for his cleansing. After this He amazes the people further by healing a paralyzed man (5:12-26).
- Jesus calls Levi to follow Him and teaches about the purpose of His earthly ministry (5:27-39).
- As controversy continues to follow Jesus, He teaches that He is Lord of the Sabbath and heals a man with a withered hand on the Sabbath day (6:1-11).
- Jesus continues teaching His disciples, appointing 12 to be apostles, and they help Him minister to the great multitude, as Jesus pronounces the “beatitudes” and “woes,” expounds on loving our enemies, judging others, fruit-bearing and building our houses on the rock (6:12-49)
Things God is teaching me in today’s reading:
- God enables us to do exceedingly, abundantly, above all that we ask or think (Ephesians 3:20)!
- Spend much time in prayer!
- The power of God worked mightily in Jesus to heal (5:17). This same power is available to us in living sanctified lives!
- Being happy (“blessed”) is a by-product of living with correct priorities!
- Christ calls us to live with a focus on others, not on self!
Things to act on in today’s reading:
- I will focus on doing, rather than just hearing what Jesus commands (6:46-49)!
- I will re-examine my response to the call to cast my net into the deep to catch men!
Things to pray about in today’s reading:
- Lord, please help me to be more like Jesus!
- Lord, please give me courage and wisdom to let down the nets where you direct!
- Lord, please be with your servant Jesse and his faithful wife Lura. Comfort and strengthen them and give them peace!
Thanks for reading with me dear friend. Have a blessed day!!
— Randy Sexton