Today’s Scripture: Proverbs 4
Things to remember in today’s reading:
- After making his fourth appeal to his son to walk securely in wisdom (3:21-35), the father makes his fifth appeal that wisdom is a tradition worth maintaining (4:1-9).
- His sixth appeal is that there are two ways that lie before all of us that require us to choose the way of wisdom or the way of folly (4:10-19).
- The father’s seventh appeal to his son is for him to maintain a heart of wisdom (4:20-27).
Things God is teaching me in today’s reading:
- Godliness and prudence are part of the legacy we should maintain as a family heritage (4:3-4).
- Keeping hold of instruction of godly fathers and mothers will allow children to walk without their way being hampered and to run without them stumbling 4:12-13).
- Out of the heart flows “the springs of life,” affecting our speech, what we look at, where we go and how we conduct ourselves (4:23).
Things to act on in today’s reading:
- Impress upon my sons the importance of putting away “crooked speech” and “devious talk” that they have a tendency to pick up from their friends in the world (4:24)
- Discuss with my sons, ways they can keep my instructions to them within their hearts and what it means to hold fast to my words (4:4, 20-21).
Things to pray about in today’s reading:
- That I always have humility as I give “good precepts,” and that “my teaching” and the wisdom that I impart to my sons is what God intends for them to receive!
Thanks for reading with me dear friend. Have a blessed day!!
— Randy Sexton