Today’s Scripture: Proverbs 2-3
Things to remember in today’s reading:
- After appealing to his son to NOT join those greedy for unjust gain, the father makes the appeal to “Get wisdom” (2:1-22)
- The father makes the 3rd appeal to his son, “Fear the Lord” (3:1-12)
- Wisdom is extolled in this Hymn o Wisdom (3:13-20)
Things God is teaching me in today’s reading:
- If we set our hearts on it, then God will give us wisdom, knowledge and understanding and He will be a shield to protect us as He “watches over the way of his saints”!
- If we walk in “integrity,” then we are promised discretion to watch over us and understanding to guard us, delivering us from the evil way!
- Though we are to seek it diligently, wisdom is not something we earn. It is pictured here as being given by God out of His great storehouse where He “stores up sound wisdom” (2:7) to be dispensed to the upright, those who walk in integrity, his saints.
- The “tree of life” analogy used in 3:18, is also used in three other Proverbs (11:30; 13:12 and 15:4). When these are compared to its use in Genesis 2:9 and 3:22 and in Revelation 2:7; 22:2, 14, and 19, I am caused to reflect upon man’s original state in the Garden before the fall and how that condition will be restored one day.
- I may talk about doing good to others but then fail to do it when given the opportunity (3:27-32).
Things to act on in today’s reading:
- I will acknowledge God in all my ways!
- I will honor God with my wealth and with my firsfruits!
- I will NOT despise the Lord’s discipline!
- I will reflect upon the fact that wisdom and understanding are given and governed by God, and are “a tree of life to those who lay hold of her” (3:18).
- I will not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in my power to do it!
Things to pray about in today’s reading:
- That God will bless my dwelling and give me honor as an inheritance (3:33-35).
- That I will trust in the Lord with all my heart and not lean on my own understanding (3:5).
- That when my loved ones lie down, they will not be afraid and their sleep will be sweet (3:24).
- That I will not lose sight of sound wisdom and discretion but will walk on my way securely (3:21-23).
Thanks for reading with me dear friend. Have a blessed day!!
— Randy Sexton