Today’s Scripture: 1st Kings 1-4
Things to remember in today’s reading:
- David’s son Adonijah, tries to exalt himself to be king but Nathan and Bathsheba thwart his attempts by telling David. At David’s request, Zadok anoints Solomon as king (1:1-40)
- Adonijah fears Solomon when he receives word that Solomon has been anointed king. When he pays homage to Solomon, Adonijah is pardoned (1:41-50).
- David charges Solomon to be strong, show himself a man and keep the charge of the Lord, walking in His ways and keeping His statutes, His commandments, His rules, and His testimonies as it is written in the law of Moses and to act according to his wisdom in dealing with certain individuals (2:1-9)
- When David dies, Solomon’s kingdom is firmly established in spite of an attempt on the part of Adonijah to exert a degree of mutiny by trying to marry Abishag (2:10-46)
Things God is teaching me in today’s reading:
- God’s plans are fulfilled despite man’s attempts to alter them!
- Once conspiracy, to usurp God’s authority, is detected in the heart of a man, it bears close scrutiny for reappearance!
- There is a duty we bear, in passing on the responsibility of leadership to the next generation, to solemnly charge them before God!
- It is good to pray for wisdom!
Things to act on in today’s reading:
- To look for opportunities to discuss today’s kingdom business and lessons learned from history
- To find a way to incorporate God’s word into everyday in some way
- This is the tough part of each daily reading! It is a challenge just to keep up with the reading. There is much in this process of living to keep us from this task! But then to make what we read a part of us is very humbling!
Things to pray about in today’s reading:
- For godly wisdom
- For your servant Jesse Law and his faithful wife Lura, members of the local body of Christ. Jesse continues to struggle with life-threatening lung deterioration. Comfort, strengthen and give them peace.
- For Lou Matlock and his faithful wife June, members of the local body of Christ. Lou is struggling with life-threatening cancer that has returned and is attacking several areas of his body. Comfort, strengthen and give them peace.
Thanks for reading with me dear friend. Have a blessed day!!
— Randy Sexton