Today’s Scripture: 2nd Samuel 20-24
Things to remember in today’s reading:
- In direct connection to the spirit within the nation of Israel, as expressed in 19:41-43, Sheba leads a revolt against David, and in the end loses his head (20:1-14).
- Seven of Saul’s sons are hanged to atone for their father’s wrongs against the Gibeonites (21:1-14)
- Some of the Philistine wars are recounted and individuals who fought in them (Abishai, Sibbecai, Elhanan, and Jonathan)(21:15-22)
- David’s Song of Deliverance, similar to Psalm 18, uses vivid metaphor to describe the Lord’s sudden appearance to help, and emphasizes God’s control of human destiny (22:1-51).
- A section called “the last words of David” contains a song praising God for establishing his house as the ruler and contrasts the “one who rules justly” and “worthless men” (23:1-7).
- The “mighty men” of David’s army are recognized (23:8-38).
- David’s sin in taking a census to establish the strength of his army (24:1-17) and his building of and offering of atonement to avert a plague as a consequence (24:8-25).
Things God is teaching me in today’s reading:
- The principle is set forth in Scripture, “The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father for the iniquity of the son.” (Ezekiel 18:20). Also put this way in Deuteronomy 24:16, “Fathers shall not be put to death because of their children, nor children be put to death because of their fathers. Each one shall be put to death for their own sin.” We can gain from discussing situations when this general principle would be superseded by other factors (as appears to be the case with the seven sons of Saul who are hanged).
- If my house is “established,” it will be because it stands with God (23:5)
- When we act “presumptuously” (i.e. presume to take credit by citing our own strength), we anger God
Things to act on in today’s reading:
- I will keep the ways of the Lord!
- In my distress, I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised! So shall I be saved from my enemies!
Things to pray about in today’s reading:
- Lord, help me to keep myself from guilt!
- Lord, please forgive me for time wasted in worthless pursuits!
- Lord, please be with your servant Jesse; comfort and strengthen him!
Thanks for reading with me dear friend. Have a blessed day!!
— Randy Sexton